Caring pet owners want their dogs and cats to have long happy lives.
They don’t want litter after litter of puppies or kittens wearing down their mama.
They don’t want the stress of finding decent, reliable, forever homes for the babies.
They don’t want their male pet marking or running off whenever a female is in heat…
and they can sense it from as far away as two miles!
Loving, responsible owners know that spaying or neutering is the best choice for their pets,
but sometimes the cost of the surgery is far beyond their ability to pay.
That’s why Fixing to Help was formed in the fall of 2018 - to serve low-income pet families residing in Central New York.
Our mission is to make spay and neuter services more accessible by sharing information and offering financial assistance
to low-income pet owners who want only the best for their dogs and cats.
In order to do so, we must follow eligibility guidelines to be sure our services reach those with the greatest need.
1. You must live in Onondaga County.
2. You must verify a total gross HOUSEHOLD income that is at or below 185% of the Federal Poverty Level.
Please note that many pet owners who once qualified for Fixing to Help assistance may no longer qualify. We have lowered the income level covered by our program. If you are no longer eligible for our program, you may still be eligible for Spay and Neuter Syracuse’s services as a self-paying pet owner. SANS continues to use the NYS HEAP income guidelines to determine eligibility.
Please have your proof of income paperwork handy when we speak. Without it, we may ask you to call back when you have it available.
3. As in the past, after Fixing to Help confirms that your pet is covered by our program, you may call SANS to make an appointment. You will be responsible for transporting your pet to and from the appointment.
1. The copay for pet owners with incomes at or below 100% of the Federal Poverty Level is $1.
2. The copay for pet owners with incomes above 100% of the Federal Poverty Level but not above 185% is approximately 30% of SANS’ surgery fee for each pet.
3. The copay is due at check-in on surgery day. It is paid directly to SANS. They accept credit/debit cards, money orders, or cash.
A Fixing to Help appointment includes a routine pre-op exam, surgery, rabies and distemper vaccinations, flea treatment, ear cleaning, nail trim, and take-home pain medication.
Our coverage does not include “extras” such as: microchip ($20); E-collar-cone (price varies); Feline Leukemia/FIV testing ($20); or extra treatment for a minor unrelated condition ($5 to $30). They can be purchased by pet owners at the time of surgery.
To register your cat or dog, please call us at 315-729-8691 and leave a message.
All dog owners must now pay a $20 refundable deposit one full week before their dog's appointment. If the deposit is not received within the week, SANS will cancel the appointment and fill the time slot with the next waiting dog.
If the dog shows up for surgery, the $20 will be refunded to the owner at checkout. Or if the owner wishes, the deposit can be used as payment for any of the options such as microchip, extra treatment, or a post-op cone. Fixing to Help will pay for the entire surgery package and take-home meds as promised.
Please give us a call at 315-729-8691 or email us at email@example.com
We understand how important your pet is to you and your family and we would love to hear from you!
If you and your pet are eligible for our services, then a surgical appointment can be scheduled with one of our collaborating clinics.
Once Fixing to Help contacts the clinic with the approval and confirms this with the pet owner, our job is done.
The rest is up to you!
You are expected to:
· Make the appointment at your convenience.
· Provide the clinic with 24-hour prior notice if you must cancel the appointment.
· Transport your pet to and from the appointment.
· Provide the clinic with verification of your financial eligibility at the time of the appointment.
· Follow post-operative directions to ensure your pet’s recovery.